Car accidents are terrible occurrences that can majorly impact a person’s life. Depending on the type of car accident you are involved in you could be looking at anything from minor injuries to the tragic loss of life. One of the most severe types of car accidents is a head-on collision. What is a head-on collision? A head-on collision occurs when two vehicles moving in opposite directions run into each other. The forces that are created by two vehicles moving at high speed towards each other and then smashing into each other can have catastrophic consequences, usually causing severe injuries.
What Causes Head-On Collisions?
It would seem odd that two drivers that are moving in a forward direction wouldn’t be able to see each other and get out of the way, especially compared to accidents like rear-ended, or T-bone accidents where one driver may not see the oncoming secondary vehicle in time to react. There are many reasons that two cars could end up in a head-on collision situation.
- Road conditions – icy or wet roads can cause vehicles to slip into the path of oncoming traffic, as well as roads that are in poor condition and cause a vehicle to swerve
- Weather conditions – in heavy rain or dense fog conditions it can be easy for drivers to end up on the wrong side of the road
- Driver confusion – sometimes road signs can cause confusion and lead a driver into the path of another
- Distracted driver – a driver who is texting or is distracted in some other way can easily drift into the path of oncoming traffic
- Animals on the road – there are elements when driving that you can’t control one of these is animals darting out onto the road which can cause drivers to swerve and end up in the path of an oncoming vehicle
Depending on the circumstances of the head-on collision one of the drivers could be at fault for negligence while operating a vehicle. When this is the case the victim of the accident could be entitled to compensation to help cover the cost of any injuries sustained and for property loss. If you have been in a head-on collision it is worth speaking with a car accident lawyer near you about your potential case.
Common Injuries in Head-On Collision Car Accidents
The injuries sustained in head-on collisions are typically very serious because of the physical forces that are involved when two vehicles collide in this way. Some of the most common types of injuries that happen in head-on collisions include:
- Whiplash – when your vehicle runs right into another your body is forced to a stop violently with a forward and backward motion that can cause serious neck and shoulder injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries – these injuries are quite common and can range from anything minor bruising to crush injuries causing paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – head injuries are very serious, traumatic brain injuries such as concussions can have a long recovery time
- Chest injuries – because of the head-on forces involved in these types of collisions chest injuries quite easily occur from the seatbelt
- Broken bones – depending on how the vehicle is damaged a person might end up smashing their arm or leg against the dashboard, steering wheel, or door and breaking a bone
- Internal injuries – it is not uncommon for a person to sustain internal injuries and organ damage when they are involved in a head-on collision
What To Do If You Have Been Involved in a Head-On Collision
The most important thing you can do when you’ve been in any sort of car accident is try to remain calm. This can be very difficult especially if you or a loved one have sustained injuries but in the long run a calm clear head will help resolve the situation faster. The next thing to do is to contact 911 for medical assistance as well as the police to come and assess the accident scene. If possible it is important to document as much as you can of the accident scene the damage to the vehicles the road conditions the time of day and weather, and anything that could be helpful in the future to determine fault. After the accident make sure that you continue to follow up with any necessary medical care and appointments to help you on your road to recovery. And it is recommended that you speak with an experienced car accident attorney in your area to find out if you have a case.
Contact A Head-On Collision Car Accident Lawyer Near You
If you have been injured in a head-on collision car accident it is worth speaking with an experienced car accident attorney near you. Depending on the circumstances it could be the fault of the person who ran into your vehicle and a personal injury lawyer can help you with a settlement and make sure you get the compensation you need to recover from your accident. At Cloud Law Firm we help clients throughout Florida who have been injured in head-on collision car accidents, as well as any other type of car accident they may have been involved in. Contact our office today to set up a free case consultation. 855-408-5100
And see more information on T-boned car accidents, hit & run accidents, rear-ended accidents, and more.
See What Our Clients Have To Say About Us:
“Mia Cloud and her assistants were always there for any questions I had. They were professional, kind and attentive. I would recommend Mia to anyone who has gone through a car accident and needed help. They were thorough from day one. Any time I had questions Mia would actually call me personally to answer them. I appreciate everything they did for me. Would highly recommend!”
And read more of our 109+ reviews on Google.
Add a comment